Since the foundation of St Lawrence Primary School in 1960 the Parish Priest has always played a most significant part in the life of the school, the children, staff and parents.
Monsignor Langmead, Parish Priest of Osborne Park, was instrumental in negotiating the purchase of the 3 acres of land, on which the school and Church are now located, from the Smullen’s family in the 1950’s.
In 1956, Sr Teresa and Sr Norma gave instructions after mass on Sundays at the St Lawrence Church-School. There was no official school at this stage. St Lawrence Primary School opened in 1960 with 54 pupils in grades 1 to 4.
The school commenced with two sisters from the Sisters of Mercy Order, as the staff members, Sr Teresa, the Principal, and Sr Catherine O’Connor as the assistant. The church was divided into 3 rooms, 2 classrooms were partitioned from the church. On Sundays the desks had to be stacked to one side and the forms put in their place for mass. The school was donated blackboard dusters, some chalk and a pad for each child as the school literally had nothing. There was also an old piano and organ. The assistant, during the lunch break and also before and after school, usually taught music lessons.
Between 1962 and 1997 the spiritual, pastoral and sacramental lives of the school were guided by the Friars of the Capuchin Order. The dedicated work of the Capuchin Friars has lead to the establishment of a strong vibrant school within the Parish of St Lawrence, Balcatta.
1997 commenced a new era in the life of the School and Parish with the arrival of priests from the Salvatorian Order who have taken responsibility for the spiritual and pastoral welfare of the community.
In 2010 the school celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
In 2012 St Lawrence Primary School has 250 students ranging from 3 year old to Year 6 classes with new facilities, such as a school hall, latest computer lab and wireless network capabilities.